No matter whether its high school, college or beyond…graduation is a time to truly celebrate. These graduates have worked for four hard years…maybe longer…to achieve a lifelong dream of theirs. They have stayed up late, sweated, cried and, in the end, made it through successfully with the skills and motivation to go out and take on the world. And, as a result, they deserve a reward.
As a result, it’s hard to argue that graduates don’t deserve a reward…a significant gift that represents all of their hard work. A gift that symbolizes this moment in their life and will be cherished forever.
That is why diamond jewelry makes such an amazing idea for marking this point in someone’s life. It is likely the first piece of diamond jewelry they will ever own…therefore, giving it even more meaning. The perfect gifts for graduation are ones that are truly classic and timeless – gifts that can be worn for years to come.
Looking for some ideas? Here are a few of the top graduation gift ideas:
- The Illa Pendant or Illa Studs – a small and simple design, with a modern touch truly celebrates “the star in your life.” And with a lower price point, it makes it the perfect gift for anyone.
- 3-Prong Studs – the most classic gift someone can receive, and an accessory that every woman yearns for. Available in a variety of carat weights.
- Script Initial Pendant – Add a touch of personalization to your gift with the fashionable look of an initial pendant. Available in block or script styles.
What was a great gift you received at graduation?
As much as we all love our “Moms,” shopping for this holiday can sometimes be a last minute decision. But not to worry! There are many easy, yet thoughtful, solutions that still show her how much you care.
Flowers – As the number one gift for Mother’s Day, flowers are a great answer for those who don’t know what to get the woman in their life but want to send a gesture. Even better, many flower delivery services have promotions running for Mother’s Day, but act quickly so you can assure day-of delivery.
A Homemade Gift – This is especially for younger children, but anyone can participate in this category! Think picture frames and other items that symbolize memories as perfect examples of things any woman would love to receive.
Jewelry – For those who want to spend a little extra and select a gift that will really “wow” her, jewelry is a perfect gift idea. Hearts On Fire offers a variety of great diamond jewelry gifts for Moms, all available for free, overnight delivery in time for this special holiday (note, for items in stock and ordered 4 pm EST on Friday, May 10th). Check out all of our dazzling Mother’s Day gift ideas here.
Still stuck? When in doubt, at least send a card - your heartfelt message will go a long way and mean more than many physical gifts.
What is the best Mother’s Day gift you have ever given or received?
In the early 1990s, the conversation of “blood diamonds” was first raised by reporters who were covering a civil war in Africa. Shortly after, the hit movie “Blood Diamond” came out, and the question of “where does my diamond really come from” rapidly moved to the forefront of the diamond jewelry industry.
But after a few years, this conversation seemed to soften. Diamond companies around the world began to work in compliance with the Kimberley Process – a United Nations mandated agreement between diamond-producing countries, major manufacturers and non-governmental organizations that requires Certificates of Origin be attached to all rough diamonds to ensure they come from verified conflict-free sources. And diamond buyers felt comfortable again.
However, in the past year or so, many companies are beginning to play this message up more in their brand messaging and advertising. And as a result, consumers are beginning to – naturally – pay more attention again.
So, what does this all mean? Should you be worried about where your diamonds come from? As long as you are purchasing your jewelry from a reputable source, you most likely do not need to be concerned.
At Hearts On Fire in particular, we are in 100% compliance with the Kimberley Process and always want you to be confident that your diamond is guaranteed to be conflict-free from point of origin to the final perfectly cut piece. And we provide the official documentation to prove it (note, always ask a diamond jewelry for proper documentation of your diamond). Learn more about our promise to you.
Read more about the history of “blood diamonds” from our Master Diamond Cutter.
In the wake of last week’s tragic events at the Boston Marathon, and then again during the shocking manhunt throughout our city, it was hard to find words to describe what we were all feeling.
After such horrific events, it is common to feel fear, sadness and anger. But at the same time, we have all been filled with love, strength and pride. Because that is what we do in Boston. That is what we are made of.
Not everyone knows that Boston is the home of Hearts On Fire, but it is something we have always been extremely proud of. And at this time, we feel even more connected to our great city.
Our entire city has truly banded together…from the First Responders on the race course, to the amazing hospital staffs, to the optimism of the victims themselves, and to the thousands of people throughout Boston who are doing anything they can to help.
I am extremely proud that at Hearts On Fire, we are also trying to help. We will be joining the efforts to support The One Fund Boston, which was established to help the victims and their families, starting with a $100,000 donation and a pledge to donate ALL proceeds of sales from our website from April 24-May 31,, 2013.
But, we are just one company among hundreds that are helping. Just one company among thousands of individuals. And that again fills me with pride.
As President Obama so passionately said, “And this time next year, on the 3rd Monday in April, the world will return to this great American city to run.”
And run on we will.
This time of year, huge groups of brides-to-be are preparing to hit the last month stretch until their wedding…as May kicks off the official “wedding season.”
As someone who went through this stressful time period just a year ago, I feel like many brides forget to take time for themselves as they concentrate on all of the final details (like seating charts, place cards, etc.). Here are a few tips that you may not think of, but will make your day even more enjoyable:
· Do your final dress fitting just 3-4 days before the wedding. This way it’s not so far ahead that it’s all you can think about until the wedding, but not so close that you don’t have time for any last minute fixes. And when it’s done, forget about it and relax.
· Think about opening a joint checking or savings account if you don’t already have one. After our wedding, we had a lot of checks that were addressed to the both of us, with our new last name (which wasn’t legally official yet)…and if our bank wasn’t so cooperative we could have had a hard time depositing them.
· Polish and/or re-rhodium (if its white gold) your engagement ring. This will ensure that it is gleaming and will match your new wedding band perfectly!
· Break in your shoes. This is something I wish I had done, but forgot about. Where them around your house only (you don’t want to ruin them in any way!) but you will be surprised how much a few days of exposure will help you on the actual day. No bride wants to be barefoot and dragging her dress.
· Eat! Eat the days before, eat the morning of, and eat during your reception. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment, and many brides forget about it or skip on purpose, but it’s one of the worst things you can do. You can keep it light, but get something in there – it’s a long day.
· Pack for your honeymoon several days before the wedding, if you area leaving right away. If you have a day or two after the wedding, wait to do it then – no need to overwhelm yourself!
· If you are going out after the wedding, consider an outfit change. You can still choose a white dress…but after hours in your wedding dress you will definitely want something more comfortable, and likely with flat shoes or sandals. Plus, this will ensure that your dress doesn’t get ruined at a bar or elsewhere.
· The day before the wedding, do whatever YOU want to do. Hit the spa, host a bridesmaid brunch, take a yoga class, or anything else that makes you totally relax and concentrate on just being excited (not stressed) for your upcoming wedding.
Do you have any last minute advice for brides-to-be?
When a woman gets an engagement ring, all she can do is stare at it in amazement and joy. It’s so sparkly…so brilliant. But, did you know if you don’t take proper care of your ring, its beauty can dull?
Fear not! There are simple cleaning tips to making sure your ring (and any diamond jewelry you own) stays dazzling forever:
· Have your ring inspected regularly – an easy way to do this is with a professional cleaning
· If your ring is white gold, re-rhodium it from time to time (this is a personal choice) to restore the whiteness to the metal
· When cleaning on your own, use warm water and mild soap (or jewelry cleaner)
· With a soft bristled brush (like a toothbrush) gently scrub around the prongs and setting – even a clean looking diamond has a thin layer of oil and grime
· Polish with a soft cloth and dry well before storing – gold can tarnish from water or leave a residue
· Always store in a fabric lined jewelry box, and not against other jewelry
Plus, here are some activities to avoid while wearing your ring in order to prolong the brilliance of your ring!
· Avoid household chemicals (like bleach) or other cleaners
· Putting on hairspray, makeup, lotion, and other beauty products
· Swimming in pools (chlorine can discolor!)
· Showering or washing your hands – even plain soap can cause a film
· Gardening or outside activities involving construction, dirt, extreme temperatures, etc.
· Exercising or playing sports
Follow these simple tips and your ring will sparkle for the rest of your life!
By now, everyone has heard about the rapidly growing popularity of Pinterest. This past year, women around the world excitedly flocked to the site and created accounts where they could find ideas for fashion, food, fitness, weddings and more.
For women trying to plan their perfect wedding (whether engaged or not), this seemed like a dream come true. But for brides-to-be, is this REALLY a good thing?
I’ll admit, I was immediately hooked on Pinterest when I joined, and disappointed that I missed being able to use it more to plan my own wedding. But now, I think I have changed my mind.
Don’t get me wrong, Pinterest is one of the most amazing social communities ever created and I still love it. And it is a fantastic place to collect ideas for your engagement ring, wedding, and so much more. For instance, creative ideas for wedding colors, bridesmaid dresses, jewelry, place cards and more can all be found there.
But, if you are a consistent Pinterest user, you might have noticed that many ideas are actually losing their luster because so many women are integrating the same ones. For example, I had a friend who thought her dream wedding dress was one she found on Pinterest. But when she actually went to try it on, the salesperson actually said, “Do you really want the same dress that so many other women are wearing right now?” Great point – she went with another, more unique style that was just right for her.
In addition, the amount of ideas you see on Pinterest can honestly be overwhelming, and cause you to think nonstop about details that really don’t matter in the end.
So, my advice? While Pinterest is one of the best resources you can possibly use for saving ideas and gaining inspiration, as you actually get down to wedding planning, one of the best decisions you might make is to turn it off for a while.
Have you determined when you are getting married and are now working on the next steps? Many women feel pressured to choose a “theme” for their weddings, but rest assured that isn’t absolutely necessary.
Especially since, many times a theme can go horribly wrong if not thought all the way through. So, if you aren’t sure what you want for your wedding…use these guidelines to help make a decision that you will love, and most importantly, won’t regret.
Choose Your Location
Choosing a wedding venue that is special to you and your husband-to-be, as well as a place that suits your personalities is the first step in any wedding. As the setting that the rest of your wedding theme will base of off, think long and hard about the feeling you want to create. Do you want a traditional country club ballroom, a rustic vineyard, or a tropical beach?
Determine Your Ideal Mood
Do you love Disney and all that comes with it? Before you rush in and select a straight theme like this, think of how it will affect your overall wedding. While Disney is a wonderful place and full of amazing characters and colors, it can be a theme hard to pull off since it is based around children, and not romance, in nature. So instead of dressing all of your bridesmaids as various Disney princesses…think about how you could base your wedding off of a similar theme – think whimsical, romantic, fantasy feel.
(image: photographer Amanda Hein)
It’s All in the Details
With places like Pinterest quickly filling every bride-to-be’s mind with endless ideas, make sure you take a step back for a minute when you hit this point. Details – everything from your invites and your place cards, to your centerpieces and signature drink options – can make your wedding feel exactly as you had imagined…but they can also go overboard in the wrong direction. Don’t feel like you have to integrate your theme into every single aspect of your wedding, but instead choose large details (such as lighting, sounds and flavors) and complement them with more subtle smaller details.
I know we have all seen pictures of a wedding that we gasp at in horror. We can’t believe they decorated in such obscure colors, or made the bridesmaids where such horrible dresses. But chances are those colors might have once been popular and the dress styles once trendy. So remember that when you are planning your own wedding, and concentrate instead on a feeling that is timeless. You want to look back on your wedding in 5, 10, and even 30 years and still think you made great decisions on everything you did…not immediately regret the Michael Jackson style outfits the groomsmen were wearing…
What wedding theme have you done that was successful?
All women want their engagement ring to stand out…no matter whether they choose a simple, classic solitaire, or a bold, fashion-forward design like a halo or split shank ring. And while there is nothing wrong with having a similar design as someone else (it’s really all about the love and meaning behind your ring), many women still want a newer, more distinctive ring style.
Lucky for woman getting engaged in the near future, Hearts On Fire just released several beautiful new engagement ring styles…all with unique designs that are bound to make any woman feel special.
Here are a few of my favorites…all with beautiful twists on original classic ring styles:
Optima Engagement Ring with Diamond Band
Atlantico Solitaire Engagement Ring
HOF Signature Solitaire Engagement Ring
Want to see more? Check out all the Hearts On Fire engagement rings now, including more new designs!
Do you have a favorite new design, or a style you would love to see?
With the official “engagement season” (what we think of as Thanksgiving-Valentine’s Day) winding down…many newly engaged women are now concentrating on planning their upcoming weddings. And one of the items on the list – wedding bands!
Since not all women have input in the style of their engagement rings, this is now your chance to pick out a wedding band that you love. Some women go for a style that complements their engagement ring completely, while others prefer a more unique look.
Hearts On Fire just released a few new diamond bands, and I am loving them! Check out a few of these new style varieties…
Atlantico Pave Band…perfect for the bold, modern woman.
Optima Diamond Band…amazing price and classic look that matches any ring.
Multiplicity Love Collection…available in five stone, seven stone or eternity bands, these new rings have hidden hearts on the inside for an extra something special.
There are so many more – so if you are in the market for a wedding ring, head over to our site and check them all out!
Do you have a wedding band style that you are searching for?